Midsommar Bake Off
Sat 25 Jun
Ready, Set, Midsommar Bake!
We will be hosting a bake off competition - judged by Great British Bake Off star Holly Bell, and would love for you to join us! If you fancy yourself a star baker - we invite you to create your own version of a traditional Swedish strawberry cake, to be in with a chance to win £100 worth of vouchers to spend at Livat Hammersmith as well as £100 worth of IKEA baking products!
To enter, simply:
Create a classic Midsommar strawberry cake using Holly Bell’s recipe below. The cake must include the core ingredients in the recipe, but feel free to add your own personal touch to catch the judges eye!
Bring the bake in the way it is intended to be displayed to the Livat Hammersmith atrium at 9.45am on 25th June 2022.
All cakes will be judged by Holly Bell and a member of the LBHF council - with the winners announced live at 12pm.
The recipe can be found on the following page.
Please be aware that due to health and safety, we ask that all bakes are taken away at the end of judging. Any bakes or display materials that are not taken back by entrants will be disposed of. Ingka Centres Management cannot store any entries or associated display materials.
Classic strawberry and cream-cake aka JORDGUBBSTÅRTA
Makes 6 pieces
● 4 eggs
● 140g of caster sugar
● 200g self raising flour
● 25g melted butter
● 6 egg yolks
● 600ml double cream (1 pint)
● 600ml pint milk (1 pint)
● 1 vanilla pod
● 3 tbsp of caster sugar
● 4 tsp cornstarch
● 500ml double cream
● 750g - 1kg of strawberries (alternatively half can be frozen strawberries)
● 300g roasted chopped nuts and almonds (mix them)
● 15-20 small meringues
● Icing sugar
Start making the sponge cake for the Swedish Jordgubbstårta. Grease and flour(or line) a round tin with removable edges (about 24 cm in diameter).
Add egg and caster sugar to a bowl that fits in a saucepan with water. Bring the water to bowl meanwhile whisking the eggs and sugar.
Whisk and heat the batter until it is about 60°C / 140°F. Measure with a kitchen thermometer.
Remove the bowl from the saucepan and continue whisking (or mix it in a stand mixer) at low speed until the mixture is cooled down and you have a white and fluffy egg batter. It takes about 10 minutes.
Sift and fold down the flour, 1/3 at a time, in the batter (use a spatula).
Finally, fold in butter into the egg batter. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven at 180°C / 355°F for about 30 minutes or until the cake is set.
Allow the cake to cool completely, loosen the tin sides and cover the cake with plastic or a kitchen towel. Don´t be afraid that the cake will be dry, It's even better if you bake this the day before.
Now make the vanilla cream.
Mix everything in a saucepan (add both seeds and the scraped bean from the vanilla pod) and boil on medium heat while stirring.
Boil until the mixture begins to thicken, and then pass it through a fine sieve. Pour the sauce into a clean bowl and place it in a cold water bath.
Whisk the sauce until it has cooled down and is nice and thick. You might have to change water in the water bath to cool it quicker.
Vanilla cream can be prepared 1-2 days before making the actual cake.
Divide the sponge cake in three parts. (use a long sharp knife, such as a fillet knife).
Take the first bottom of the sponge cake and put it on the cake stand (cut wide strips of parchment paper and lay them around, they can then be removed when the cake is completely finished.)
Spread a layer of vanilla cream over the bottom cake, divide strawberries cut into pieces on top.
Add another part of the cake (the middle on)
Add whipped cream on this layer and some more strawberries cut into pieces. Lay the top layer of cake on top of this but turn it upside down so that you have the cut side up.
Add a big dollop of whipped cream and spread it over the whole cake, both top and sides.
Put the meringues in a ring around the cake's top.
Spread out strawberries (either whole or divided in 2 or 4 pieces depending on their size) in the middle and top with toasted, chopped nuts. If possible, also put some nuts on the cake's sides as well. Sift some icing sugar on top before serving.
The Strawberry cake is lovely to serve after 1-2 hours, but it is also really nice the day after when it gets a bit juicy.
1. The promoter is: Ingka Centres Management UK (company no. 12418686] whose registered office is at Witan Gate House, 500-600 Witan Gate West, Milton Keynes , Buckinghamshire. MK9 1SH.
2. The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom aged 18 years or over in the United Kingdom, except employees and agents of Livat Hammersmith, INGKA Centres or IKEA and anyone otherwise connected with the operation or fulfilment of the Competition (including third party promotional partners) and their respective associated, affiliated or subsidiary companies, and the immediate families and household members of all such employees and agents.
3. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
4. Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are:
● Create a Midsommar Summer Cake using the provided recipe as a base. The cake must include all ingredients included within the provided recipe, but added extras are accepted.
● Bring the bake in the way it is intended to be displayed to Livat Hammersmith at 9.45am on 25th June 2022.
● Provide the bake in the way it is intended to be displayed to the Livat Hammersmith team, along with a name, email address and full list of ingredients used in the bake.
● Bakes will be tasted by the judging panel between 10am - 12pm on 25th June 2022.
● A winner will be announced at 12pm on 25th June 2022. Should all entrants not be available to participate, they will be notified via email.
● Following judging, all cakes that are not taken back by entrants will be disposed off. Ingka Centres Management cannot store any entries or associated display materials. Any display materials provided for judging must be collected by entrants at 12pm on 25th June 2022, or may be disposed of.
5. Entry to the competition is prerequisite on following appropriate food handling safety procedures including checking sell-by-date and condition of products before using or displaying, buying only fresh ingredients, keeping all food refrigerated, fully baking off everything.Only cakes that do not need refrigerating are to be baked. Baked should be covered and refrigerated or stored in a cool place ahead of presentation.
6. ingka Centres Management Company will not be held responsible for any damage to participant items following the judging.
7. Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
8. The Competition starts at 10am (UK time) on June 25th 2022 and closes at 12pm on June 25th 2022 (the Competition Period). Any entries received outside the Competition Period will be void.
9. If selected as a winner, participants will be required to take part in reasonable publicity surrounding the Competition, including, but not limited to, the announcement of the publication of the Livat Hammersmith website and social media channels as well as having name and images distributed to media.
10. The Promoter reserves the right to remove or temporarily suspend from the Competition any entries submitted if, in its reasonable opinion, it suspects any breach of these Terms and Conditions or if it receives any complaint from a third party relating to such entry.
11. Entries received which are not submitted via the official entry method will not be accepted. Any illegible, incomplete or fraudulent entries will be rejected.
Winners and Prizes
12. There will be 1 winner.
13. Winners will be selected by a judging panel. The judging panel will include a representative from Livat Hammersmith, previous bake off contestant Holly Bell and a member of LBHF council. The decisions of the judging panel are final. No correspondence will be entered into.
14. The Prize is £100 worth of baking products from IKEA and a £100 voucher to be spent in one Livat Hammersmith tenant.
15. Prizes are as stated and are non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no changes shall be permissible. There is no cash or other alternative to the prize in whole or in part. The Prize cannot be sold and may only be redeemed by the individual Winner.
16. The Winner is responsible for paying all associated costs that are not specifically stated in any Promotional materials or these Terms and Conditions, including (where applicable) transport, accommodation, meal costs, spending money, insurance and all other incidentals. Winners are also personally responsible for any personal or incidental expenses and any VAT, national and/or local tax liabilities incurred in claiming or using the prize. By participating in the Competition, participants agree that the prize is awarded on an "as is" basis, and that neither the Promoter nor any of its subsidiary or affiliated companies, make any representations or warranties of any nature with respect to the prize.
17. In the event that, for reasons beyond the Promoter's reasonable control the Promoter is unable to award the Prize as described in these Terms and Conditions, the Promoter reserves the right to award a prize of a similar nature and an equivalent value, or at its sole discretion, the cash value of the Prize. The Promoter also reserves the right to award a prize of a similar nature and an equivalent value, or at its sole discretion, the cash value of the Prize if in its reasonable discretion it is appropriate to do so.
Winner Announcement and claiming of prize
18. Winner will be notified by email or using the other contact details provided to the Promoter within 7 days after the end of the Competition Period. All reasonable endeavours will be made to contact the Winner during the specified time. If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available, the Promoter reserves the right to re-draw another winner from the valid entries that were received during the Competition Period. Winner may be required to submit valid identification before receiving their prize.
19. Winner will be required to confirm acceptance of the applicable prize within 2 days of having been notified. If the winner has not claimed their prize by the date specified, the Promoter reserves the right to award the prize to another participant.
Data Protection and Publicity
20. The Promoter will collect and process participants' personal information and it will be shared with the Promoter's agents, affiliates and, if applicable, any third party prize provider (including those outside the European Economic Area). Information provided by participants will only be used for the purpose of conducting this Competition (including for prizes to be delivered) and other purposes as may be specified at the time of entry or on promotional materials.
21. Subject to the participants' consent, the participants’ names and general locations will be published or made publicly available if they are the winner of the Competition in accordance with regulatory requirements. In such circumstances, the Promoter may also make free use of this information and the participants' photographs for publicity and news purposes, both during this and future promotions by the Promoter. This includes, subject to the participants’ consent, making their name available on the Promoter's websites and social media platforms.
22. If participants do not provide any of the mandatory information requested when participating in the Competition, their entry will be void.
23. The Promoter reserves the right to require the participants to prove that they are eligible. If a winner is found to be ineligible, the Promoter reserves the right to award their prize to another participant and to require the return of any prize already awarded.
24. The provision of the Prize does not imply endorsement by the Promoter of Livat Hammersmith or other third parties concerned in any way with the Competition. Any complaints or queries relating to the use of the prize should be directed to Livat Hammersmith.
25. Participants must not do anything illegal and/or dangerous and/or that would put themselves or others at any risk. Save where it has been negligent, the Promoter will not be responsible for any damage, loss or injury resulting from participants' entry into the Competition or their acceptance and/or use of the prize, or for technical, hardware or software failures, lost, faulty or unavailable network connections or difficulties of any kind that may limit or prohibit participant's ability to participate in the Competition. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall in any way limit the Promoter's liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence or for any other matter where liability may not be limited as a matter of law.
26. The Promoter reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the Competition (including altering prizes) if, in its sole discretion, the Competition is not capable of being conducted as specified. In the event of a printing or other error resulting in there being more winners than prizes for the Competition, the Promoter reserves the right to (a) declare as void any claims or entries resulting from such printing or other error; and/or (b) allocate the available prize through a further draw or to divide the value of the prize between the winners of the Competition.
27. Any participant who enters or attempts to enter the Competition in a manner, which in the Promoter's reasonable opinion is contrary to these Terms and Conditions or by its nature is unjust to other participants (including tampering with the operation of the Competition, cheating, hacking, deception or any other unfair playing practices such as intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other participants or the Promoter and/or any of its agents or representatives) may be rejected from the Competition at the Promoter's sole discretion. Furthermore, where such actions have significantly impaired the Competition, the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, add further stages to the Competition as it deems reasonably necessary in order to resolve any problems arising from such actions.
28. The Promoter will collect and process participants' personal information and it will be shared with the Promoter's agents, affiliates and, if applicable, any third party prize provider (including those outside the European Economic Area). Information provided by participants will only be used for the purpose of conducting this Competition (including for prizes to be delivered). If your personal information will be used for any other purposes, this will be made clear and will be specified at the time of entry or on promotional materials. If you wish to withdraw your details at any stage, please contact (insert promoter email/ designated contact).
29. The Promoter reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions. Any amendments will be published on the Promoter's website, https://www.livat.com/en/hammersmith